Thursday, February 12, 2015

Changing The World.....



So, yesterday was my Birthday.  I turned 37.  It's hard to believe that so much shit has happened to me in those 37 years.  It's also hard to believe that I'm having such issues in my life, for being the ripe old age of 37. 

                                                                                                                                     
It's also come to my attention that my inability to work due to my mental issues is taking it's toll not just on me, but to everyone around me.  Not that I'm home all the time, but financially. 

I just don't know what to do.  I know there are a tonne of options out there, such as government funding, etc.  But, the unfortunate part about it is:  They don't view Depression as a disability.  So, it would be like jumping through hoops, just to get an adjudicator to listen to my case.
I WANT to work, I'm just not able to.
I know there are millions of people out there that say that.  I would argue that the majority of them are just lazy.  But, there are the people like me.  The ones who want to to work.  The ones who are physically able to work.  But just aren't mentally able to.  I know, that since you're reading this post, you can understand and even empathise with my situation.  Unfortunately, this argument falls on deaf ears when it comes to the people that matter.  the ones who can make the decisions, and affect change.  Those are our politicians.  

I was recently talking with a young lady I used to go to church with in my youth.  She is having the exact same problems I'm having. She also suffers from Depression.  Unlike me, she is able to work, but just minimal hours.  Because she is able to work a very small amount, our lovely government will NOT support her. 

Recently, there was a Mental Health Awareness Day, promoted by Bell Canada.  Their promotion was to raise money, and raise awareness about Mental Health.  In just ONE DAY, they raise more money for Mental Health initiatives than the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT gives to Mental Health in an entire year. 
It's makes my stomach turn when I see a telephone company doing more for the 1-in-5 Canadians that suffer from Mental Health issues, than our elected officials. 

Let's take a quick look at how SERIOUS our leaders are about Mental Illnesses:


January - Alzheimer's Awareness Month

February - Heart Month

March - Childhood Arthritis Month

April - Dental Health Month

May - Medic Alert Month

June - ALS Awareness Month

July - NOTHING

August - NOTHING

September - Men's Cancer Health Awareness Month

October - Autism Awareness Month
(Oct 4 - Oct10) - Mental Illness Awareness Week

November - Diabetes Month

December - NOTHING


I would argue that 1-in-5 Canadians who suffer from some form of Mental Illness deserves a lot more than one week in October from our Federal Government, and one day in January or February from a local phone company.  Don't you?

The bottom line is:  There is almost NO funding for people who suffer from mental illnesses.  People who are unable to work due to their mental illness need to jump through some serious hoops to be heard, and then ultimately denied funding. 

I want to work.  I just can't.  Help me support myself and my family, or give me the resources to be able to go back to work!


No comments:

Post a Comment