Monday, August 11, 2014

Robin Williams - This One Hurts


This afternoon, I was laying on the sofa, listening to the radio (yes, I LOVE talk-radio), when it came over the air that Robin Williams had died.  I nearly fell on the floor.  That man was my childhood.  Mrs. Doubtfire, Hook, Jumanji, Dead Poets Society, Aladdin, Mork & Mindy, and the list goes on.

Williams admitted several times publicly, that he suffers from a wide range of substance abuse; from alcohol, to cocaine, and who knows what else?
Being a Hollywood star in the 1970's and 1980's couldn't have been easy on anyone's liver, or nostrils. 

Like I said:  I grew up watching Robin Williams.  I can tell you with 100% honesty that the last movie my parents ever watched in a movie theatre was 'Dead Poets Society'.  Not because they didn't enjoy the movie, but because they just don't go out to movies.  I can also tell you that the first stand-up comedy DVD I ever bought was 'Robin Williams Live On Broadway'. 

Yep, that's one funny man.

The reason why I'm writing about Williams here, on my Mental Health blog is simple:  He allegedly committed suicide.  Even if the autopsy comes back and says it was 'natural causes' at the age of 63, he still had many demons we didn't all know about. 

I remember growing up, and watching this man on TV, and in movies.  He never failed to make me smile, and sometimes even laugh. 
Over the last few years, when I first started noticing I was having Depression issues, I would often turn on 'Robin Williams Live On Broadway' or dust off my old VHS copy of 'Hook', and put it on, and drift away to a better, happier place. 

Robin Williams was to me, what One Direction is to someone I love very much:  He saved my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment