Tuesday, April 29, 2014

#SickNotWeak

Firstly, I'd like to apologize....  I haven't written here in a while.  The reason for that is sinple:  I've been way too busy.  That's not just a lame-duck excuse.  It's a fact.  Then again, being busy is always a good thing!  It's the down-time in life that makes it a bit harder to get out of bed in the morning.  But, we're well passed that now. 

I remember the days when all I wanted to do was sleep.  I would stay in bed, or laying down on the sofa most of the day.  The thing is, for the first few weeks, I thought nothing of it.  Then I started thinking about my ex-wife, who also suffers from Depression, and I was going through a lot of things she went through.  Needless to say, it didn't take long for me to figure out what was happening to me;  than I was getting sick, and needed to see my doctor.

That's a story I've told many times, and will likely tell again.  But not today.  Today is about being happy.  About being busy.  About keeping the demons away. 

As I've said before, one of the keys to keeping those demons away, is to keep busy.  Physical labour, or going to the gym regularly (daily), certainly helps. 
That's simply what I've tried to do with myself.  After being kicked, tortured, and basically shit upon by my Slefish and cowardly ex-girlfriend, I realised I needed to change the people I have in my life.  So, I've found myself with the perfect woman as my girlfriend.  She has wonderful children whom I love very much (and I think they kind of dig me too), not to mention my wonderful and always smiling little boy. 
I've also gone and landed myself a great job.  True, it's about a 40 minute drive from home, but well worth it.  It's a very physically demanding job, and keeps me busy.  I hurt after work most nights (which is a feeling I love).  You know burn you feel after a good workout?  That one.
Not to mention, I have a group of the most amazing, and most supportive friends anyone could ask for.

Those are some of the keys to keeping your head as straight as you can.  Depression/Anxiety won't just go away.  You need to be proactive.  Talk about it with your friends and family, and doctor.  Be active.  Keep yourself occupied.  Keep your mind away from the dark places.  It's not easy.  I failed many times in my attempts to move out of the shadows.  But, with the right amount of time, medication, and hard work, I'm at a place in my life, where Depression is in the past.  It no longer defines me.  I'm having GOOD days every day. 

You must treat Depression for what it really is:  An illness.  It's a mental illness that should be treated no differently than the common flu, Cancer, or any other commonly occurring illnesses out there.  It just happens.  We're not really sure why.  It's not a sign of weakness.  It's a sign that you're like most other people in the world.  A slight chemical imbalance in your brain.  Nothing more, nothing less. 

Keep smiling!




No comments:

Post a Comment